- The Lucien Rudaux Memorial Award 2020
- James Dean is listed in Who's Who in American Art.
- Art Directors' Club, NY
- American Institute of Graphic Arts, NY
- Communication Arts Magazine, NY
- American Austrian Society, Washington, DC
- Art League, Alexandria, VA
- Dean designed two Christmas stamps for the U.S. Postal Service in 1985 and 1987.
Dean authored NASA/ART: 50 Years of Exploration, published by Abrams NY 2008.
Dean illustrated LIFTOFF, Story of America's Adventure in Space by Michael Collins, Grove Press, NY 1988 and 1989
Dean wrote Journey Into Space in Paul Calle - An Artist's Journey, Mill Pond Press, Venice, FL 1993
Dean co-authored Eyewitness To Space , published by Harry N. Abrams, Inc., NY 1972.
He authored NASA 1958-1983 Remembered Images, published by NASA, 1983
Dean and his work are discussed in:
- Va. Artist Puts Stamp on Christmas The Washington Post, December 5, 1985
- The Duality of James Dean: Curator of Nation's Space Art and a Painter of Nostalgia Art Voices South , July/August 1979
- James Dean, Painter of the Past Southern Living, June 1973
James Dean, Artist Virginia Cardinal, September 1973
- James Dean, Painting the Spirit of the Past American Artist, March 1971
- National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC
- Corcoran Gallery of Art, Washington, DC
- American Watercolor Society, New York, NY
- Smithsonian Institution Traveling Exhibition Service
- Foster Harmon Galleries of American Art, Sarasota, FL
- Maurice Sternberg Galleries, Chicago, IL
- National Academy of Design, New York, NY
- U.S. Information Agency Foreign Tour
- Cosmos Club, Washington, DC
- Franz Bader Gallery, Washington, DC
- George Washington University, Washington, DC
- American Watercolor Society's National Traveling Exhibition
- National Air & Space Museum, Smithsonian Institution, Washington, DC
ON THE AIR
Dean was interviewed on WETA Arts: July 2019 about his work with artists in the early days of NASA.
His Space Shuttle paintings were shown on NBC-TV News November 12, 1981 and on ABC-TV News June 25, 1982 and June 22, 1984.